Low carb: Baked Chicken Green Curry

 
 
My family is partial to a good curry and it really doesn't matter whether it is good old traditional "Boere" curry, Indian curry or this fabulous Thai Green Curry. I was only lately introduced to this wonderful dish on a cooking course in about 2008. I always thought that this dish is just way too much effort but was pleasantly surprised. If you aren't restricting carbs (like us in the past) then I highly suggest thickening the sauce with some maize flour and enjoying it over rice noodles or just plain rice. Absolutly devine!
 


However this dish is usaully made in a frying pan with some stir-fry veggies and sliced chicken breasts.. Hubby however accidently bought big chunky roast veggies and big chicken pieces. Not suitable for the quick go to dish I make in less than 30 minutes. So I would have had to boil (yuck) or roast the veggies before I can add them and I really didn't know how I was going to cook the chicken so it can be juicy. With all this I just decided screw it, I'm adding everything to the roasting pan. This worked so well because usually I'm stuck in front of the stove the whole time. This time I added everything and just left it to roast!




What you need:

  • 8 chicken pieces
  • 1 packet roast veggies (we used with courgettes, pumpkin, green pepper and red onions)
  • 1 packet Thai Green Curry Paste
  • 1 can coconut milk
  • 1 small can coconut cream
  • 1 tbsp fish sauce
  • 1 tbsp xylitol
  • 1 stock cube (I use the Knorr ones that look like jelly)
  • 1/2 to 1 cup boiling water (less if you want a thicker sauce as the veggies etc all release some water)
What to do:

  1. Take a big oven-safe roasting pan. Preheat the oven to moderate (180 degrees C)
  2. Place the veggies all in a single layer on the bottom of the pan.
  3. Squish the chicken pieces in between.
  4. In a measuring jug, add the stock cube first (I forgot!) and top with enough water to allow it to disolve.
  5. Add the curry paste, coconut milk and coconut cream, fish sauce and xylitol. Mix well.
  6. Top the chicken with the sauce. If you don't have enough sauce and some boiling water.
  7. Bake in the oven for 1 hour or until the chicken is cooked and tender.
  8. Eat with rice, cauli-rice, noodles or just as is.
  9. Enjoy!

Note: I like mine to be very saucy but not watery. Use a 1/4 cup almond flour mixed with some of the hot sauce and mixed back with the rest. Then put it bake into the oven for abou 15-20 mintes and the sauce will thicken up a bit. Or just use less water from the start. I added about 1 cup and it was way too much.


 This really was good and will defenitly be used again and again. Especially in the coming winter!

Comments

Popular Posts